Join with me in Celebrating thirty years in the Healing arts! Take 30% Off for all my books, chart, DVD, and Mp4 Digital trainings, with the coupon code: 30for30!!! Now through my birthday, August 22, 2017!
It was on just such a summer day, July 1987 that my full-time professional Shiatsu career began. The SweatLodge leader (my first lodge of many!) was making prayers about how we would each serve in the coming Earth Changes. When he said, “Some people will be movers and shakers, but most of us will just help people out, day by day!” I heard my calling loud and clear. “Just do Shiatsu! You can do this!”
In my Leonine personality type, I’d always made up this story that I was supposed to do great things. And yet, that was such a daunting prospect it actually stopped me from moving forward. An example of this was my feelings about my singing. I always wanted to sing like Pavarotti. But since I was in no way capable of singing like Pavarotti, then I didn’t pursue my singing as a career at all. (May be a good thing that i spared the world… but not really…) Being myself is the actual key that was difficult for me to unlock.
Then in that SweatLodge, my two years of Shiatsu study at the Ohashi Institute finally came together in something that I was very capable of. A baby step forward, just “helping people out day by day.” And from that beautiful moment my full time practice has unfolded, now over three decades! I am humbled and grateful for the many gifts, and the many beautiful healings, with many amazing and wonderful people, on this powerful and meaningful life journey!
To celebrate with me, you can now order any or all of my titles for 30% off! On the checkout page, simply enter the coupon code: 30for30!!! in the coupon field, and WahLah, your price will melt down 30%! Offer good from now until my birthday, August 22nd, 2017. For those of you planning to enroll in my HeartMind Shiatsu Professional training, this is a great time to purchase all your books and charts for the training!
Let’s all help the human race to a brighter future, simply helping out our brothers and sisters… day by day!!!
Elevate Your Healing Bodywork Practice!
with Matthew Sweigart, CI
February 3-5, 2017
Friday evening: 6-9pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10am-5pm
Registration open now!
Come IN from the cold and warm UP this winter! Come share warmth and connection with fellow travelers on the healing path. Enjoy this inspiring, hands-on exploration of the healing arts.
This workshop will include fun, invigorating movement, healing touch, and profound self development as you give and receive innovative, heart-centered bodywork.
You’ll learn one safely performed Flying HeartMind Shiatsu lift that will astound and amaze you and keep your clients coming back for more!
Elevate your practice to the next level!
Free Demo Jan. 26th, 6-8pm
Bodywork Bistro Living Arts Center
3825 Iris, Suite 300, Boulder, CO
Weekend Workshop Fees
$267 by Jan. 26th ($297 thereafter.)
*This course is included in the 500-hour HeartMind Shiatsu Professional Training.
* Based on the popular Harmonizing Heaven & Earth DVD and Companion Manual.
In my recent Pathways of Qi, Exploring the Meridian Medicine Wheel workshop in Chicago, I introduced the idea of the five freedoms. These are essential to exercise in the presence of unconditional love for a true, full and deep sense of wholeness and self-acceptance. They offer a sure way to escape the struggle of toxic shame and self-deprecation, and to claim and exercise them is a significant piece of ongoing personal cultivation.
The five freedoms simply stated are: 1) to perceive, 2) to think, 3) to feel, 4) to want and 5) to choose. In order to live fully from our authentic and realized self, we practice affirming our five freedoms.
- We affirm our own unique perceptions of the world around us. We have the ability to see, hear, smell, taste and feel the truth of our experience. No one else can tell us what to perceive, though conversations with others regarding their perceptions may shape our perceptual experience. What is essential here is to know that ultimately it is our right and responsibility to trust and grow our own perceptions.
- We affirm our right and responsibility to think for ourselves. No one can do our thinking for us, though perhaps many have through the art of persuasion tried to influence our thinking. Even education in a system can be a subtle form of external conditions shaping our thoughts. Again, what is essential here is to realize that we are ultimately responsible for our thoughts, and knowing when and how to express them in a good way. Sinclair Lewis’s character Babbit was a perfect example of someone who struggled to find his own original thoughts. Of course, this is a caricature of a human being, but it can be hauntingly real if you tend to be overly influenced by the strongly expressed opinions of those whom you invest with authority.
- Affirming your rights and responsibilities to your feelings is an essential skill to develop in order to live a highly functional life with a minimum of victim thinking. To me, this area is the one that ultimately is completely our own. No one can tell you what to feel. No one can make you feel anything. Your feelings are your own. No more can you say “you make me mad.” Rather say,” I find that I am mad when I reflect upon your behavior and your words.” And that is where your work begins. To own your feelings is to have the ability to be strong in your authentic self-expression. To know what you are feeling in any giving moment or setting is to have in your consciousness the power you need to be fully alive. To learn to navigate your own inner emotional landscape and to fully own the rights and responsibilities that go with your emotional being is perhaps the single most important task you can undertake.
- To affirm your right to what you want, and what you desire is another essential step on the path of personal freedom. And it is founded on the previous three freedoms. If you are free to perceive, think and feel for yourself, you will be clear about what you want and desire in your life in any given moment. And here the art of being in relationship is most sorely tested. The fact that there are so many choices, and so many things, places, experiences, available to us to chose from, and that everyone has their own unique set of tastes and needs, the art of doing things together that everyone in the party agrees they also want is a high art indeed. of course if we were completely alone, we might always in every moment find that what we want is never in conflict with what others want. Yet this is not the case. We live in social settings, and in order to maintain social harmony, there are often compromises, or delays and a need for a great deal of flexibility. But the clearer you are about your own desires, you can use them to point the way to your best outcomes. And like the Rolling Stones song tells us, “you can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime, I think you’ll find, you get what you need!”
- Finally the right to chose is the last essential step on the path of freedom. Based on all the previous freedoms, your own personal choice is before you. No one can ultimately make any choice for you. You must make it inside yourself, and then work to actualize it in the world. Make a commitment to the world you wish to live in, the choices you make to devote your time, attention, energy and love to, and watch your world come into focus and begin to yield fulfillment and satisfaction. yet at the same time, see that this freedom demands stepping up to your rights and responsibilities. If you have chosen for yourself, then you have no one else to blame. This is not easy! For many, the idea of having another person chose for them can lead to a sense of relief. Gosh, I admit, sometimes it’s just hard to know exactly what the right choice is. And giving that over to a trusted friend or advisor can really help guide the way. But that is the key… a trusted friend or advisor must also always know that ultimately your reaction to the choice and alignment with the choice is essential. For myself, I like to use a “non-human source” as a guide. Some sort of divine or spirit being to help guide me. There’s a lot to be said for the line in the Lord’s prayer “Thy will be done!” To align yourself with the divine purpose for you is a profound key to fulfilling this final freedom.
So now that we are familiar with the five freedoms, how do these relate to the Five Elements. For this, I draw the link to the daily cycle of energy flow.
Perceptions I see as related to the Metal Element and the Wei Qi field. Our contact with the world around us is the first edge of experience.
Thoughts relate to the Earth Element, our nourishment and rumination energies. We take things into us, and we roll them around in our mind’s eye. The spirit level here is known as the Yi. The Yi is the rational intellect and it falls in the purview of the Spleen Channel energies.
Feelings / Emotions I give to the Fire Element, the element of the Heart and Small Intestine, Triple Warmer, and Pericardium. These energies are deeply related to our inner world of truth, interpretation and essential self-awareness and realization. There is a strong argument to be made for the emotions to be rooted in the Water element as well, but here is where I see Water being most closely related to realm of wants and desires.
Water governs the deep, driving forces that shape our motivations into life. Our Zhi, our will forces are here in the Kidneys, and they arise from within us, even from our unconscious. One can even say that Heart is the awareness that we are conscious of, and Kidney the awareness that is revealing itself as we go along. There are few places in life where this is more clearly revealed than in our wants and desires. An old German song speaks of Hans, who has everything he wants. But what he wants he doesn’t have, and what he has, he doesn’t want! And yet, he has everything he wants! We can all relate to this in one way or another as we seek that elusive feeling of fulfillment and satisfaction along the journey of life.
And finally, to chose, simply put, this is the realm of the Wood Element. Our Gall Bladder and Liver are charged with the task of making the strategic choices at each step of the way. To weight the two sides (or many sides) of any given situation and to take the ultimate responsibility of making the choice. And then once the choice is made, to learn and grow, striving ever onward in life toward the goals and rewards that await a “job well done.”
So these are the correlations. And in the task of fully embodying your five freedoms I encourage you to look and see where you may be weak or strong, need attention, or can rest confidently in your sense of achievement. If you struggle with your emotions, practice Fire Element cultivation. If you are not sure about what you perceive, check your Wei Qi field and develop your Lung and Large Intestine Qi. Apply this to each of the five freedoms, and use the Five Elements and their corresponding meridians to access the energy you need to more and more fully realize those freedoms in all areas of your life. And any place where you see your freedoms being compromised, slow down, pause, take a break and honestly assess where you are at. Then affirm once more your right and responsibility to be fully in your perceptions, thoughts, feelings, desires and choices.
I encourage you to take this into your life and put these five freedoms into action. In so doing, you will eradicate the monster of self-deprecation and banish the demon of toxic shame from running your life forever. And further, make a commitment to surround yourself with others who affirm your right to your five freedoms, and also claim the right to their own. It can be a lot of fun to be in a dedicated group of beings on the path of freedom. Let freedom ring!
And… See you in class!
We are so excited to announce that Enrollment is officially open for the 2016 HeartMind Shiatsu Basic Training in Boulder, CO.
Imagine your life when…
- You have developed your healing skills
- You can help people to relieve their suffering
- You can use your hands to soothe & reduce pain
- Your life dedication to healing becomes a daily practice…and a means to right livelihood
- You grasp the deeper meaning behind disease
…and can confidently facilitate transformation
HeartMind Shiatsu Basic Training will make these dreams a reality. We will take a deep dive into the fascinating and beautiful theory of Chinese Medicine. You will learn Beginner and Intermediate treatment skills for the health and longevity of your clients. You will learn techniques to help relieve your loved ones of common aches and pains. You will understand how the energy of Nature expresses itself through personality and physicality and develop the capacity to work with the corresponding energetic flows of the human body to bring yourself and your clients to a greater place of balance. You will gain a deep sense of connection to yourself and to the infinite place of silence within, through which healing energy flows.
We are now scheduling enrollment consultations and accepting applications for our 2016 program in Boulder, CO.
We’ve been working hard to evolve the program to produce higher quality therapists with deeper levels of understanding of Chinese Medicine. And every year, the program gets better and better. So next year’s training will be the best one yet. Join us!
We will begin accepting applications for our 2016 Basic Training in Boulder, CO next Mon., Oct. 12th.
We are incredibly excited to run the program again next year, having evolved and refined our presentation, incorporating student feedback from this year’s program. Newly graduated Certified HeartMind Instructors Becky Whitmer, Dave Goetz, and Jessica Van Antwerp will teach the first three levels of next year’s Basic Training, and our lead instructor Matthew Sweigart will fly in from California to teach the final level.
Prepare for a deep dive into Traditional Chinese Medicine and all of its mystery. Learn how the Five Elements express themselves within Nature and within human beings to gain a better understanding of people in your life. Learn techniques to balance your own energy so that you may be healthier and livelier in your own life. And learn how to balance the energy in other people’s bodies so that they may be relieved of common aches and pains and feel their own vitality radiating out of every pore.
Stay tuned for application details…
What is HeartMind Shiatsu?
What is it good for?
How does it feel?
Come see what HeartMind Shiatsu is all about by watch one of our lead instructors apply techniques you can learn in our 1st of 3 Free Demos:
Mon., Nov. 16th
Bodywork Bistro Living Arts Center
3825 Iris Ave. Ste. 300
Boulder, CO 80301
Join us for a lively and inspiring evening of discovery, March 1, 5:00-6:15 pm. We will present an overview of the HeartMind Shiatsu curriculum, experience a sampling of the modality through hands-on group practice, and finish our gathering with some delicious refreshments. We’re sure you will enjoy the views from the Bodywork Bistro Living Arts Center, home to our school.
Building upon the content of 101 students now learn the Theory of the Five Elements and how they manifest through the organ networks to enliven body/mind/spirit. The traditional correspondences of the Elements are the cornerstone of the course, grounding students in the basic attributes of each of the Five Elements and how they express themselves in Nature and in Humanity. Students begin to discern the signs and symptoms of each of the Elements, and in this way, begin to practice the art of creating treatment plans tailor made to the specific needs of each client. Yoga-inspired Meridian Stretch Exercises are practiced as both a tool of treatment and assessment, and traditional shu point assessment methods will be introduced.
In this level students learn the art of pattern recognition through a study of kyo/jitsu deficiency excess model of Master Masuanga’s Zen Shiatsu system and the use of the Four tools of Assessment: Looking, Asking, Listening/Smelling and Touching. All previously learned material is integrated into flowing sessions led by movement, awareness and pattern recognition with multiple points of contact using thumbs, palms, forearms, elbows and knees. Additional elegant positions and movement combinations are introduced. Much like vinyasa flows in yoga, various sequences of movement and acu-point stimulation are practiced to give students a full range of technical approaches for clinical application. Masunaga’s Front and Back Assessment Areas are studied, and effective assessment palpation practiced. A semi-private tutorial with the Instructor is required between 103 and 104.
Our 2012 Basic Training started this September, and Sunday, 9/9, was graduation day for the first module. After 4 days of deep immersion in “Meridian Magic” our student clinic was a smashing success. Students walked away with not only their certificates but also a deep appreciation of what they learned in just 4 days.
102 in October will take us on a deep dive into “Five Element Flow” – a study of each of the 5 elements recognized in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM): Fire, Earth, Metal, Water and Wood. Students will also build on the foundational technique sequence learned in 101 with techniques for approaching every meridian channel from every position (prone, side and supine).
Graduates of 101 (or equivalent) are invited to enroll. The dates for the October training are Thursday – Sunday, 10/4 – 10/7, 9am – 6pm.
In Five Elements, Organ Networks students deepen their understanding of Organ Network energies, particularly focusing on the nature of yin and yang and excess and deficient patterns in great detail the psycho-physical realm. Leon Hammer’s seminal work, Dragon Rises, Redbird Flies, provides the springboard for the study and treatment of the signs and symptoms of life energy patterns in body, mind and spirit. Students learn to discern between Yin Deficiency and Yang Excess, Yang Deficiency and Yin Excess and how these patterns of disharmony manifest and how they might best be treated to restore balance and harmony to the entire system. Of particular interest is the process of development and maturation over time, the recognition of enduring patterns, and the choices we have to shift to new and more powerful ways of being in the world. Students apply these principles to their own life, and by extension discover how they can use these powerful insights to assist clients in the treatment room.
In this level, students learn the rich and detailed tapestry of human wellness through an in-depth study of Etiology, the discernment of External Pernicious Influences, the Internal Endogenous Causes of Dis-ease, and the Five Fundamental Substances and Spiritual Essensces. These topics are covered through a lively combination of guided meditation, selected readings, lecture and discussion. In addition, tongue and pulse Assessment are introduced as tools for discernment of signs and symptoms. Practical discovery of the various patterns and etiologies as well as effective clinical strategies for treatment are explored. Much time is given to Supervised Clinical Practice throughout this level leading to a refinement of skill and increasing treatment room confidence.